Should You Buy Winter Tires?

By George Dodson


After completing my college education I moved up to the northeast with my trusty truck. I didn't have much idea about driving on snow as I have always lived in warmer locations. The first winter was awful. The truck did not have 4 wheel drive but I had always found the front wheel drive was more than enough to get you through most normal situations. The case was not the same in the first winter. I rented an apartment located on the top of a hill before the snow fall started.

On normal days there was no problem getting in and out of the driveway. However, when the second snowfall started it became difficult to drive the truck. Coming out was not at all tough if you wanted to stop or steer. Coming up the driveway was like a nightmare. I don't even remember how many times I got stuck with my vehicle. The driveway was like an ice rink due to the ice and slick at the top. At first I learned to get a running start and come up the driveway without stopping. This way, I could make it up the drive without getting stuck. The driveway became more and more packed with the advent of the severe winter days. I would always get stuck just near the garage entrance. At night I had to dig the truck to get inside.

My tires had worn down by the time of spring. The local tire shop offered a huge collection of tires to choose from. I wanted to make the best bargain as I was a budget-loving customer. The sales person explained to me that all the season tires were not ideal for driving during the winter months. I was advised to use performance tires in the summer time and then switch to winter ones in the fall.

At first I thought he was trying to make me buy an extra set of tires. But later I found out that most of the drivers actually opt for two sets of tires. Performance tires were great for driving on dry roads were useless in snow. The winter tires have special treads that made driving so much easier but could be put easily lose their tread during the hot summer months. Switching back and forth will help you make the best bargain.

No other tire would perform better in winter than a set of Cooper winter tires. This way you save a lot of money by not having to replace your tires every few years. Two sets used consecutively would not last as long when compared to two sets of tires. The shop also provided me some useful information regarding the rebates found online to reduce the bill amount. I then waited for another rebate to save money on the winter set in the fall. The next year, I didn't face any problem getting my car up to the driveway.




About the Author:



 
Copyright © 2011. Market Cars . All Rights Reserved
Home | Contact US | Privacy policy | Cool Car | RSS | Twitter | Site map
Design by Mr Mi . Developed by Blogger